HOLT, Fla., March 13, 2018–The Baker Block Museum is hosting a fundraising event packed with fun for the whole family Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the museum grounds.
Admission is free.
Saturday’s festivities include live music, a chili cook-off, pie contest, silent auction, 50-50 raffle, vendor booths and, of course, food (see schedule and silent auction items below).
Attendees can purchase chili taste tickets and vote for their favorite chili recipe.
And what’s a festival without activities for the kids like bounce houses, rock and face painting, bear building and a petting zoo?
Proceeds from the event go toward building an open-air pavilion and stage on the west side of the museum grounds for future outdoor events.
According to Ann Spann, museum director, an outdoor pavilion will give the community a local place for museum events, family gatherings and other community activities.
“The pavilion will provide a venue for small weddings and reunions, available for rental,” said Ann Spann, museum director.
Money generated from the rental will go back to the museum.
Located at the intersection of State Roads 4 and 189 in Baker, the museum features exhibits on the local area, including the timber and turpentine industry, farm tools, Native American artifacts and the early Florida pioneer lifestyle as well as the museum’s Mercantile Store.
The outdoor grounds of the heritage park include a number of cabins and buildings from Florida’s past, including 1860’s log cabin and a turn-of-the-century post office and general store.
The Baker Block Museum also houses a robust history library of local pioneer family genealogies, community, church and school histories with online access for genealogy researchers.
The non-profit museum is funded by donations, members and fundraising events, and has been financed in part with Historical Museums Grants-in-Aid Program assistance provided by Florida’s Bureau of Historical Museums.
In the event of rain, the fundraiser will be rescheduled to April 21.
Schedule of Events
10 a.m. M&M Express — bluegrass
11 a.m. M&M Express — bluegrass; Silent Auction begins
12 p.m. Casey Kearny — country
1 p.m. Silent Auction winners announced–must be present to win
1:30 p.m. Reid Soria — variety
2 p.m. 50-50 raffle drawing–do not need to be present to win
Silent Auction items include:
- Photo session from Sarah Jordan Photography
- Photo session from Lynette C. Sanders photography
- Handmade wooden porch swing from Shane and Cheryl Ward at Swings and Things
- Nail certificate from Melissa Lewis at Steel Magnolias
- Family fun pack from the Emerald Coast Zoo in Crestview
- Shampoo, cut, blow dry and style from Kathy at Steel Magnolias
- Sterling Silver Baker Gator earrings from Joey the Jeweler
- Sterling Silver Baker Gator necklace from Joey the Jeweler
- A certificate for Fruitable Flowers
- A certificate from Merle Norman
- A new sewing machine from Ruthie’s Notions
- A certificate for a party rental from Adams Party Center
- T-shirts from the Baker Bait Shop
- Two make-up donations from Younique by Britney Gillis
- Family gift basket from Sweet Season’s Farm
- Family Fun Pack from Santa Rosa Ranch LLC
- A gift basket from Cathy’s Creation’s in Holt
- A free month of Zumba at the Baker Arena from Brittany Roy Slick
- A Baker Gator T-shirt and more gift baskets from Sierra Studios
- Wooden door hangers from Charla Douglas