HOLT, Nov. 20, 2016–This is the first cold snap to hit the Holt area this fall-winter season. Here’s some helpful reminders to prepare for the sub-freezing weather expected Sunday night.
- Wear layers, gloves, hats to stay warm when outside.
- Bring pets inside or provide them a warm shelter.
- Cover sensitive plants, or bring them in if they’re portable.
- Cover exposed outdoor pipes; allow outdoor faucets to drip to prevent broken frozen pipes.
- Don’t use fuel-burning (charcoal or wood) grills or other devices inside. They release carbon monoxide gas.
The University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences Extension Office offers the five Ps for cold weather preparedness:
- Protect People
- Protect Pets
- Protect Pipes
- Protect Plants
- Practice Fire Safety